Foundation: 1858 Nankendorf, Upper Franconia
Reopening: February 2018
Since in August 2015 the testbeer "Bräumichl" and in August 2017 the testbeers "Gülden Pils", "Blondes" and Doppelbock were brewed, the brewery "Polsterbräu" is making a comeback. But the story of the famous beer from Nankendorf starts already 2 centuries earlier.
Michael Polster started in 1858. He founded the "Polsterbräu" and became known as "Wirts-Michl" with his beer. From then on, not only the brewery, but also the brewing family Polster grew.
The next generation, Johann and Katharina Polster, expanded the brewery in 1927 by adding an inn. The residential and guest house of the family Polster is still today together with the church a distinguishing feature of Nankendorf. First in self-management (until 1951) and then under the tenants Hans Wölfel and Paul Klaus, the brewery inn Polster became a tourist attraction. In addition to the beer, especially the Franconian snacks attracted hikers.
The "Polsterbräu" was therefore not only a guarantee for good beer but also a big employer. Because not only the beer was produced, there was also an in-house carpentry, which was responsible for the production of beer crates.
The fourth generation of the brewer family, under the leadership of Werner and Gisela Polster, made the "Polsterbräu" a permanent feature of Franconian beer culture. In almost every corner of Franconian Switzerland, the "Polsterbräu" beer was served in the restaurants. In 1971, the brewery had an output of about 33,000 hl of beer. In order to meet this enormous amount, the "Polsterbräu" even then had its own "beer truck" to supply the restaurants.
After Werner Polster took over the brewery Zorn in Eppingen for personal reasons, there was, after a temporary subletting to Tucher Nuremberg in 1974, the final out of the "Polsterbräu" in Nankendorf.
The brewery inn continued under the tenants Jürgen and Sieglinde Taschner and later Thomas and Corinna Günzel on. At that time, however, the focus was mainly on the culinary specialties of the inn.
The "Bräumichlbier" briefly represented a new beginning of the brewing tradition. Named after the founder of the brewery Michael Polster and based on the traditional Polsterbräu recipe, it was restored in August 2015 in a contract brewery. In January 2016, the brewery inn opened its doors again. After a loving restoration of the restaurant, Karin Klaus and her team were happy to serve the guests in a cozy atmosphere with good beer and homemade Franconian snacks. However, in June 2017, the inn was closed for economic reasons and a new owner for "Polsterbräu" sought.
Today, the brewery restaurant is owned by the city of Waischenfeld. However, the brand "Polsterbräu" continues to operate as a private brewery.
In October 2017, entrepreneur and beer lover Janus Nowak, who lives in Baden-Württemberg, and his business partner Stan Suchy (London) launched a revolutionary crowdfunding project aimed at restoring the old Polsterbräu tradition.
At the beginning of February 2018, the time had finally come: the first double-sop "Ur-Märzen" was brewed in a contract brewery using the original recipes and distributed to the many hundred investors at the beginning of April.
The demand for this delicious beer quickly rose, so that in May 2018 the first 50hl "blondes" were put on sale.
Now the rest of the Polsterbräu history is written...
6x 0.5 liter Munich Seidl. Limited edition: only 498 pieces! 6x 0.5 liter Munich Seidl. Limited...